The missing link
Health and wellness are important to our Seattle patients. We exercise – we go to yoga or crossfit, we get outside and hike the beautiful trails of the Pacific Northwest. We do our best to eat healthy – we eat lots of organic, raw foods, and eat locally sourced products when we can. We make sure to wear sunscreen (in August). But many patients forget about one crucial piece of the puzzle – oral health! This could be the missing link that separates you from your best self.
Clean up your act
We’re all about clean living in Seattle. We care about the environment – we buy green products, and we minimize waste. We try to live consciously. Now, what if we all put in the same effort into our oral hygiene that we put into sorting our recycling? We might just have the cleanest mouths in America.
If you’ve ever been to the dentist, you’ve probably heard it time and time again, “Have you been brushing regularly? What about flossing?” While it may seem like we’re beating a dead horse, we only stress the importance of oral hygiene so much because it really is the most significant factor that determines your state of oral health. Here are a few helpful hints from the professionals for maintaining a proper oral hygiene routine at home.
- Choose a quality toothbrush – we recommend Philips Sonicare®
- Brush at least twice per day, for at least two minutes – after breakfast and before bed, and make sure to reach all the way to the back molars, and don’t forget the tongue to combat bad breath
- Brushing after each meal is recommended – though we realize not everyone carries a toothbrush around in their pocket
- When brushing is not an option – rinse with water, or chew gum containing xylitol, especially after sugary foods/beverages
- Keep sugar intake to a minimum – make sure to brush/rinse afterwards
- Floss every day, before your nightly brushing – this is the only way to remove plaque between teeth that causes decay
- Rinse with mouthwash – kill 99% of germs and bacteria and freshen breath (ask Dr. Gollofon what he recommends for your specific needs)
- Smile! Your oral hygiene is on point
In the office
If you do your best to maintain the ideal oral hygiene routine we detailed above, your oral hygienist’s job will be very minimal. But we do expect to see your beautiful face in our office twice yearly for regular exams and cleanings, to ensure everything is running smoothly. We do have the skills and the tools here in our office to give you a really good deep clean that you will not be able to achieve at home.
Our hygiene team is impressively thorough – they will remove every last bit of plaque and tartar buildup, and take note of any noticeable changes in your mouth. With a hawk’s eye for detail and a gentle touch, our patients tell us we provide one of the best dental cleanings in Seattle.
If you have any questions about oral hygiene, or would like to schedule a cleaning appointment with your Seattle dentist, Dr. Gollofon, please contact us today at (206) 445-6890. Our office is conveniently located in North Seattle on Lake City Way!